Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Wine Blogging Wednesday 8

Well, it's Tuesday night and because I'm in Sydney, I'm ahead of the rest of the world. (timewise I mean - as long as you don't count New Zealand and several Pacific islands) Anyway, I'm quite excited about my first WBW and was thinking about it last night before I fell into a booze induced slumber. There are a couple of reasons for this. The first being this is my first outing into the international world of food bloggers - ahem ahem. And as such thought I had better tidy up a bit around here. You know, correct a few typos, fix that damn Technorati searchlet thingy so you could actually use it (though I'm doubtful if anyone does) and generally try to sharpen things up around here. It took me a while I can tell you and I did a pretty shoddy job of it. That is the problem with blogs, all this self publishing business...oh well, I shall blame the wine.
That takes me to my second reason... I have totally forgotten what that was so I shall move on to the wine

A summary search of our local bottlo yielded but one candidate, a bottle of 2001 Corvo Rosso ITG Sicilia which was either a bit of a bargain at just $12.99 or a very scary prospect indeed, depending on your point of view. (remember we are in AUD here) We approached this wine with caution and were pleasantly surprised. This is what in Australia is currently referred to as a "food wine". I think this term may have originated as a slur but as we Aussie's have become more interested in eating AND drinking as opposed to just drinking "food wines" have become more acceptable. My understanding of the term "food wine" is a wine in a lighter, euro style designed to be drunk with food and compliment it as opposed to some Australian wines that are so oakey it is like sucking a tree, so full bodied it could be obese and so alcoholic it is T.K.O ding ding ding - those are my particular faves.
Hey, I liked this wine, quite a bit actually, though I think the 2001 may be a bit past its prime. The grape varieties nero d'avola, nerello di mascelese and pignatello are delightfully different to the usual suspects available in our bottle shops. It is not overly alcoholic at 12.5% either.
In fact, we liked it so much after drinking a bottle for the first time Monday night, we went back and purchased a second bottle tonight and gave it another run. I think however, that tonight will be the last time I visit Sicily for a while. Although I just remembered that my local grocers, the Borsellino Bros, are Sicilian and I am there practically every day.
We drank the Corvo on Monday with my garlicy, roast chicken which was delicious. Tonight we tried it with the Marinated Roo thinking, yes, just what the Corvo needs a nice bit of gamey meat. I was a disappointed though. I thought that the Corvo and the roo might work nicely well together, but the roo is quite rich and flavoursome and perhaps needs a bigger wine. The Corvo tends to be a bit on the thinner, more acidic side. I can image in it would be delicious quaffed with lamb, olives, tomatoes and chili, anchovy pasta. This may be a bit weird, but for me this was a real holiday wine or the kind of wine you drank when you were a student and couldn't afford the good stuff, only without any of the nasty flavours. It reminded me of sunny days and warm evenings and of eating pizza with your mates at the local Italian joint. No bad thing for a Monday night at home in autumn.
OK, enough! I'll just finish up with the fact that I'm very glad I tried this wine, it wasn't the best wine I've ever drunk but if I come across some younger vintages and I'm in the mood for a spot of Italiano food, I'll be sure to give them a go.
I've also included a link to a review that Big Al found for me. If you're interested in the nitty-gritty from someone who knows what they're talking about... VinoCibo

No comments: