Wednesday, July 20, 2005

I'm Baack

I've been somewhat depressed by the blogging scene of late. That and it's winter here and no one has much energy for anything. I did jump on to Chez Pim last week just long enough to become generally irritated by the whole thing. What's the deal? Has food blogging just become an excuse to show your superiority and generally belittle all the ordinary stuff we mere mortals may enjoy?

What is going on? There is a fine line between educating your palate and enjoying the finer things (all of which I heartily endorse in principle) and just whinging for the sake of it about how you can't get a decent coffee in Paris.

Get a life!

I know I'm about a week behind the times on this but that's because I've been brewing and stewing like a cup of robusta.

You may call it sour grapes, but let me just say if I had the good fortune to be slutting about in Paris, instead of sitting at my desk on a miserable winter's day in Sydney, consoling myself that at least I'm in the Parisienne end of Redfern, I could think of plenty of stuff to do to take my mind off the coffee.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excuse me?

I'm sorry I've apparently done something to irritate you, but don't you think you've gone a little over board on this? Slutting about in Paris? You must be kidding me. What do you know about my life or my time in Paris that would qualify this kind of name calling?

Perhaps you owe me an apology here.

Food blogging is about talking about food, if we're not allowed to speak unkindly of anything that mere mortals might enjoy, then what could we talk about? Mere mortals enjoy MacDonald's burgers -billions have been sold I hear- so should we not talk about how crappy and harmful they are for fear of hurting someone's feelings?

And you know, if you want to accuse me of whining for the sake of it, there are plenty other posts of mine you could pick from, in which I truly and disgustingly droned on an on about minor irritations when I could hardly find a cause to complain about my life -yes yes I could be an ungrateful little twit at times. But in the coffee post, I thought I was being quite informative about my complaints. What you called whining, I see as calling attention to a problem, even providing background information about how it came to be, heck, I even gave out some bonnes adresses where one could be sure to find a cup of superlative coffee in Paris.

Chez Pim is about my life, you know, just as this one is about yours. I talk about things I find interesting or tasty in my life. If you didn't like the blog please feel free to never go back. It is after all a free world. Plenty of people disagreed with my assessment of coffees in Paris -check out Kottke and Gridskipper to start- but no one resorted to this sort of nasty name calling.

Again, perhaps you owe me an apology.

Pim

Hedonista said...

Dear Pim,

Yes, I probably do owe you an aplology. I used the term slutting er, loosely, (no pun intended) for effect - a joke if you will. I in no way meant to call your behaviour (of which you are of course right, I know nothing) into question nor to offend you. So please do accept my apology for causing offence by my glib choice of words.

I have long been a fan of your blog and indeed been quite inspired by your passion and commitment to food and food blogging.

So please take my criticism of your post with the proverbial grain of salt, I meant only to challenge your views in a playful way not to offend you personally.

Cheers and (of course) beers!
Chloe

Anonymous said...

No worries. I must have been having a bad day. Didn't mean to take things so seriously.

cheers,
Pim