Monday, April 11, 2005

Abla Pastry

I'm not in the habit of saying " You should do/try/eat this" or "You should go/eat/try there" but after re-visiting one of my favourite places on Saturday night, well, I just have to tell you about it. Saturday was a pretty busy day for Big Al and me. Yum Cha for lunch, Pho at Pho An in Bankstown for dinner (excellent Pho by the way) and in spite, or perhaps because of this culinary extravaganza, I felt the need for a sugar hit before bedtime. So without much arm twisting I managed to talk my compadres in to coming home via Abla Pastry for some take away.

I am utterly charmed by Abla's. I don't know what excites me more; the enourmous (and I mean HUGE) round steel trays of baklava, semolina cake and other Lebanese delicacies that stretch the whole way down the counter, the fact that they charge for these by the kilo (!), or that fact that no matter what time I choose to visit, Abla's is always open for my caffeine and sugar fix. I have been there at 1am after a big(ish) night for sustenance and at 9am in the morning after a particularly harrowing bridesmaid's dress fitting and it is always just as I remember it.

Ahh, Abla I love ya. Don't go changin'...

No comments: